- »Teaching & Learning
- »Technology, Vocational, Information and Business Education
- »Vocational, Information and Business Education
- »Business Studies A Level
Business Studies A Level
Business A Level will introduce you to the challenges and issues of starting a business, including financial planning. The course then explores the key internal functions of business and how the management of these functions can assist in improving effectiveness as well as external influences on business such as exchange rates and the economic cycle. This course is designed to:
- Enable you to focus on the dynamic nature of the contemporary business world
- Provide opportunities for research into topical business issues using actual business examples
- Offer opportunities for the development and application of a full range of academic skills such as presentation skills, as well as analysis and evaluation in essay writing.
Main Features of the Course
There are four key themes to the course:
- Theme 1: Marketing and People
- Theme 2: Managing Business Activities
- Theme 3: Business Decisions and Strategy
- Theme 4: Global Business.
What qualifications do I need to take the course?
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A*-C (or equivalent), including Grade B or above in English and Mathematics.
How is the course assessed?
Paper 1: Written exam of 2 hours worth 100 marks and 33.3% of the A Level consisting of multiple choice questions, short answer questions and two essay questions
Paper 2: Written exam of 2 hours worth 100 marks and 33.3% of the A Level consisting of three data response questions
Paper 3: Written exam of 2 hours worth 100 marks and 33.3% of the A Level consisting of one compulsory case study with 6 corresponding questions
Many students progress on to university to study a degree in Business or Economics but it is relevant to a large number of degrees and past students have gone on to study Fine Art, Accountancy, Law and Architecture. The course also prepares students for a management role in employment or to start their own business.